Stuffed Soy ShellsMakes 4 servings
Tofu is a great substitute for ricotta cheese in these shells. No one will ever know unless you decide to tell them. Serve with a side of asparagus.
16 jumbo pasta shells
1/2 medium onions, peeled and quartered
13 ounces marinara sauce, low sodium
15 ounces low-fat tofu, extra firm and drained
1/4 cup basil, fresh chopped
1/2 cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 cup soy cheese, cheddar style and shredded
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, and rinse.
- Pour and spread 1/2 cup marinara sauce over bottom of 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Put tofu, onion, spinach, basil, garlic, oil, oregano, salt and pepper in food processor and purée.
- Pour tofu mixture to 1-gallon sealable plastic bag. Cut off a bottom corner of bag. Squeeze 3 tablespoons tofu mixture into each shell.
- Place stuffed shells in baking dish with sauce. Pour remaining sauce over shells. Cover tightly with foil. Bake 20 minutes.
- Remove foil, sprinkle shells with cheese and bake 5 more minutes to melt cheese.
152 Calories per Serving, Total Fat 9.4g, Saturated Fat 1.3g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 794mg, Carbohydrate 14.9g, Fiber 1.7g, Protein 3.1g